Damp Under Door - Missing DPM?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm fairly new to the DIY'ing, but i've recently bought a house and need some advice on a damp issue recently discovered under the front door.

I'm planning on putting down a solid wood floor, and have recently pulled up an old lino floor and scrapped up all the self leveling stuff it was laid on. However, by the front door, not only did that come up, but I found what seemed to be the concrete floor was damp and weak, and I lifted up the crumbly/damp 5mm layer over the inner line of bricks and cavity with my bare hands.

The cavity was filled with mud/sand/concrete - all damp. and there didn't seem to be any dpm between the inner line of bricks/concreted cavity and the screed that was covering them. I've pulled it all up now, dug out the cavity to about 1 brick depth, and am now unsure exactly how to proceed.

As you can see on the photo's, there's the dpm between the bricks and the concrete floor just poking up in places, and using a damp tester the concrete floor is dry. Having read other similar threads here I had hoped to create a trench of DPM into the cavity, fill with concrete, then possibly use some epoxy concrete repair or similar on top to create a hard smooth floor up to the level of the concrete.

I assume I need to join the dpm all together to get a decent seal from the dpm between inner bricks/concrete across to the dpc under the door. Thing is, I'm struggling as there's nothing to really attach to at the inner line of bricks as it appears to have been cut back, and there's only a slither of dpc poking out under the door. Would somehow using a liquid dpm be an option?

Can anyone advise on my next steps? Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
I would take out the top course of brick on the inner leaf, then as you say, form a trough with DPM, and fill with concrete. I wouldn't worry about joining it to the existing membrane. I can't see one anyway?

Am I seeing a dpm course in the external course above the inner course of bricks, it's not clear? Assuming that's so and the external course is sound above it, you can get a self adhesive/waterproof tape, fit it above the dpm, apply reputable dpm plastic sheeting into the entire void, folding, pushing, cajole it into position, allowing it to flop over the existing substrate, fill the void with concrete up and over the flopped edges (you may want to put a stop over the plastic) Then make good the floor with a sand/cement screed...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back