DPC missing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finally gotten around to doing the living room in the new gaff. It looks like the French doors were made by widening a single door. I pulled away damp and crumbling concrete from the floor with my hand until I got to brick. There's no sign of the slate DPC which is present in the centre (and is used throughout this 50s ex council semi).

Question is what to do to fill the trench? Is there a "damp proof" concrete mix I could chuck in there or would I need to put down a bit of DPM and concrete on top? A bit worried about the shallowness of the concrete over the brick and also when to stop digging out the cavity.

All help gladly received.

Attachments

• 20231004_110531.jpg
    20231004_110531.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20231004_110547.jpg
    20231004_110547.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 20231004_110556.jpg
    20231004_110556.jpg
    468.3 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
Looks like you have what looks like hard plastic tiles on floor? From the 50s and 60s they were asbestos.

I had similar floor. I dug out. Linned with thick rubble sacks and filled with concrete.
I just bought broken bags that seem to always be sold for a £1 ish in my local DIY and mixed up concrete in some tubs and poured in. 6 to 1 ratio of stone and sand, with 1 cement

Looks like you have what looks like hard plastic tiles on floor? From the 50s and 60s they were asbestos.
They are, however I sent a piece off for testing and it came back negative for asbestos.

They are, however I sent a piece off for testing and it came back negative for asbestos.
Did you send a piece of tile or a piece of the backing adhesive? The fibres are generally in the backing adhesive.

Sponsored Links
There are liquid surface DPMs. Ball Stopgap F77 is one, RIW or any bitumen based product are others.

You may be better off lifting the screed and that course of bricks and insulating the threshold and laying a deeper screed.

Look for posts from noseall, he's posted some detailed images.

There are liquid surface DPMs. Ball Stopgap F77 is one, RIW or any bitumen based product are others.
Thanks
You may be better off lifting the screed and that course of bricks and insulating the threshold and laying a deeper screed.
So a strip of celotex along the edge of the door, a 1200 DPM in the trench and fill with a standard 6:1 mix?

Look for posts from noseall, he's posted some detailed images.
Any more clues how to find noseall's images. He's quite a prolific poster in the forums, or is it a blog or something like that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back