Damp under window sill - please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm really at the end of my tether here, so i'd appreciate any help you can give. Sorry the post is a bit long. please help!

About a year ago I had my old sash windows replaced with new double glazed timber sash. I had the whole box replaced, not just the sash itself. The company were local, FENSA registered and easy to deal with - all seemed ok.

About 8 months later, in the first floor bedroom, I started to notice small darker patches on the wall, under the sill. I got a builder round, he checked all the sills on the outside with a spirit level, checked all the seals where the new sash box meets the masonry and checked the guttering and roof above. All were fine. He said the water must be coming in through the new window and he cannot find anywhere else that water could be coming in. Also - he's no expert on windows, but he was very surprised at the design of the sash which has a draft brush strip on the outside of the window. The brush strip slots in through a tiny channel. He thought water is coming in that tiny slit.

I got the Window company round. They said they fit 90 of these boxes a week in London and had never seen any damp or water coming in before. They said the box is a sealed unit, so even if it was coming in the channel that the brush strip slots into, it wouldn't seep out into the wall. They said it wasn't damp, it was just plaster work that hadn't smoothed out. he redid the plaster and repainted. Heavy rain this weekend, the patches are back..

Basically, i'm at a loss to figure out what to do. No one can find the cause, so i can't find a solution. The damp did not seem to be present before i replaced the windows, so logically, it must be the windows, but i dont' know what to do - short of ripping all of them out and refitting. even then, this might not solve the problem.

any thoughts, please?

Sponsored Links
Get someone up a ladder with a hose pipe and wet the window with you inside checking to see what happens.

Do you have any ventilation in the room?

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Actually, there is no other ventilation (no trickle vents or one of those bricks with holes in if you know what i mean).

I asked him about trickle vents before fitting, but he said most of their customers preferred not to have them and they found no need for them.

Worth noting - the damp isn't like mouldy damp and it's not anywhere else in the room and no condensation anywhere either. The mark under the sill is a sort of wavy line about 3-4 inches under the sill where you can see a dark line, like a water mark.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back