Damp wall remediation - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The lower half of one of my stone kitchen walls (ie the first 1m or so up from the kitchen floor) is below ground level and is damp as a result of this with the plaster all peeling off. The house was built in 1870 and does not have a DPC and is made of Yorkshire Stone. We are thinking of putting a new kitchen in but obviously want to resolve this damp issue properly first. I have had 3 damp proofing firms round to look at it and 2 have suggested that they would go back to the stone and install a plastic membrane on to this and then a frame to support plasterboard before skimming it. They have both quoted in excess of £2k for this and one included an injection into the wall as well. However, the 3 rd firm that has come round to assess it suggested that this would not be the best approach and that instead they would strip the wall back to the stone, inject it above ground level and apply a sand/cement mix with tanking slurry and bonding agent and then board over this and skim. They suggested that a plastic membrane is not required and that if it was installed would actually result in the water running down the membrane and into the cellar therefore creating a problem below. Their quote is about £500 less. I am really stuck with this as to know who to go with and which advice is correct - do i need the full plastic membrane or will the sand/cement mix option work - he is offering a 10 yr guarantee on this as well?? Is sand/cement mix with bonding agent/tanking slurry guranteed to stop any future damp coming through. Please help! Many thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back