Damp wall under roof

CBX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Not sure if this is the right place to post - shout if not a roofing issue.

Noticed today that a section of wall underneath roof was discoloured - especially the mortar between the bricks. Took a picture on a camera and it looks even more obvious than it does to the naked eye.

I assume this a damp issue. Could the roof be to blame? Perhaps leaking in the cavity between the brick and breezeblock - maybe saturating cavity insulation?

The loft seems fine (no leaks) as does the breezeblock the other side of the wall as far as I can tell by looking.

I did get a roofing guy who seemed to know what he was talking about 6 months ago to check a small dripping out of the soffit vent on the right of the picture during rain. He lifted some roofing tiles and said it was fine, just that the felt dipped a little at that point before getting to the gutter. No charge or work needed.

The other walls of the house are fine. The wall faces west so probably gets the worst of the wind and rain.

Or does this look to be more of a water penetration issue with the wall itself?

Cheers for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Should I have put this in the building forum instead?

I don't know what the cause of the problem is :)

You have to suspect 'interstitial condensation'.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back