Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently purchased a late Victorian end stone terrace property as our first home and are encountering lots of issues which is proving disheartening and costly!

We were aware of damp issues in the upstairs bedroom on the Chimney Breast which is on the top floor (attic is converted). We removed extensive amounts of ivy on the exterior wall to try and improve the issue as I know his can be a key factor in damp issues.

We have had the roof inspected and the flashing (which was missing), chinney pots reset and pointing repaired. We still have notable issues internally such as bubbling paint/plaster and discoloured walls.

We are now unsure whether this is due to the damaged plaster and moisture simply seeping or whether there is a more serious issue with penetrating damp. I have limited experience on this but the position of the chimney in relation to the roof pitch and wall may be a factor?

The wall is wet to touch and there is discolouring and flaking paint/plaster (see pictures).

I’m posting on here to try and get a steer from more experienced members as to whether this is simply a case of removing the plaster and waterproofing the wall or whether a more extensive external repair and roof is needed? (See image and dark wet patches on exterior wall)

I may look to get the roof looked at again (previous roofer was confident in repair and was the only one who actually got on the roof to look at it for his quote!)

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_8564.jpeg
    IMG_8564.jpeg
    394 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8561.jpeg
    IMG_8561.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8558.jpeg
    IMG_8558.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8559.jpeg
    IMG_8559.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8556.jpeg
    IMG_8556.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8555.jpeg
    IMG_8555.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8560.jpeg
    IMG_8560.jpeg
    79.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8554.jpeg
    IMG_8554.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8553.jpeg
    IMG_8553.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8552.jpeg
    IMG_8552.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back