Damp wall - water infiltration though brick (Pictures included)

the brickwork looks as if a window or something has been bricked up in that wall. Do you know what happened?

No I don’t unfortunately. But it definitely looks like someone fixed something here before. Btw, the pictures of the bedroom are on first floor.

you say that a "treatment" for "rising damp" has previously been tried, so obviously there is a long-term source of water making that wall wet. Please stand back and photograph it from ground to roof. "treatment" is usually tried to hide the water without correcting the source. Your chemical potions are the same. How close is this "rising damp" to ground level?

the rising damp treatment was done the week after I bought the house based on the building survey. They removed plaster inside up to 1.2m above floor level, did some injection in brick joint, tanked the wall and re-plastered. The living room marks as seen on the picture are starting at around 1.6m above floor level and I have nothing below. I believe these were hidden before I bought the house and we’re not detected during building survey. I suspect mortar and brick issues but I am yet to go in my neighbors garden to check that out.

Once the outside wall is “fixed” how should I go about fixing the plaster in the inside?

Sponsored Links
But does not exist in brickwork.

Really?

Screenshot_20201007-121547.png

Sponsored Links
Water vapour is a gas, and will pass through breathable sealants.
No! No! No! :whistle:
You can extract water vapour from air by using a brick as a filter...
Hung on, isn't air made of gases?
What about water in gas form aka vapour?
Some people really can't accept common sense...

I went out to see what is going while it was raining I took the following picture:
8BAD1A4D-A4F4-4275-B15E-84C518A25A73.jpeg

now I have no idea what is going on. The water seems to be leaking in between the wall and the fascia board. Roof tiles look ok. I have no idea where this could come from and unfortunately this will be very difficult for me to check what is going under the roof. Any idea of what might be the problem?

Looks like guttering is overflowing or roof leaking into soffit.
At least you've narrow down the problem to these 2 things.
Can you take a picture of the roof in that spot?
Also, observing the phenomenon whilst raining would exclude/confirm if guttering is overflowing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back