Damp wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View media item 50344 View media item 50345 View media item 50346 View media item 50347 View media item 50348
Any thoughts on this dampness now I have pulled off the skirting board? This corner is an alcove between chimney breast on the party wall and external wall - the external wall being where the radiator is located. Looks quite long term dampness given the radiator is rusty in that corner - no signs of leakage from the radiator/pipes though (although interestingly that radiator doesnt work - I've yet to figure out if that is stuck TRV or blocked pipe, another job!)

On the other side of the external wall is a deck at about internal floor level, with the boards going at right angles to the wall then with another board on top along the wall (to hide the gap?) so I cannot see how close to the wall the main boards are. I will try and get a picture of this later. The bricks on this external wall near the dampness look dry enough with a large roof overhang but the mortar between some of them is poor with the pointing gone. When it rains water does seem to pool on the deck but doesnt seem to run towards the house. Doesnt look to be big gaps between the deck boards either so not sure how much ventilation there is underneath.

In some of the pics you can see the cavity wall insulation where is brick is missing - is this ok? There feels a nice breeze coming up from under the floor with the skirting off, but I am not sure if the decking has covered any airbricks in that external wall. I think I might take up some of the decking tomorrow to see if there is anything suspicious underneath.

Sponsored Links
I know this is an old thread but only just got around to looking at the problem again!

I finally got some of the decking boards up after finding they were layed with square drive screws and found a bit that fitted, finding a block paved patio underneath. I have cut out a section of the frame that was covering the air brick, surely this can only help things but is it likely to solve the damp inside?
View media item 56502
The mortar that has been exposed behind the failed pointing is very loose and looks almost like dirt than sand and cement (when you scrape it out it feels damp)! I am looking to get the pointing done on the house later in the year, but for now what is my best course of action here - scrape out as much as possible and fill with mortar?
View media item 56503

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back