Damp walls in basement flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I hope you can help with my query. When we bought our basement flat, the surveyor used a damp meter and detected high levels in some of the internal walls, although he said as these had been plastered over and there was no visible damp coming through, I shouldn't worry about it. I've noticed recently that there is paint bubbling away from the wall at skirting board level. The bubbling was very minor, so I scraped a bit away to look underneath, and there was some black staining to the plaster, although not much. There was also evidence of crystalisation. Presumably this is rising damp, since it was plastered over before. My query is, should I ignore the surveyor and sort out this problem, and if so how? The floor is covered with parquet but I suspect it's concrete beneath since it's a basement. I have heard bad things about using chemicals to solve damp problems, but electro-osmosis sounds interesting. Any advice gratefully appreciated!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back