Damp walls - what can I do about it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is so damp! The front of the property isn't too bad and I only get damp and mold covering the wall underneath the bay window. The back of the property (outside walls) however is really bad, especially upstairs where I have to re-decorate every year or two. To give you an idea of how bad it is, my box room was re-decorated in November and has had a new wardrobe in it. I looked at the back of the wardrobe yesterday and it was completely covered in mold. The walls used to feel so wet that I now leave the window slightly open at all times which makes the walls feel dry but the mold still comes. There is also a de-humidifier in there that I use from time to time (not with the window open when operating obviously). This is definitely the worst room however my middle bedroom gets lots of mold around the window, walls and celing around there too, and my kitchen walls feel wet to touch. I once had somebody round to look at it and they said to open the windows more. To give you some extra information, I bought my house 10 years ago, there was no central heating in at that point. This was fitted about a year later so the house is nice and warm. We had a neighbourhood renewal scheme which replaced the guttering about 7 years ago. The roof was checked over last year and a couple of slipped tiles were replaced. So what can I do about this problem? Is it possible to get rid of mold?

Sponsored Links
To get rid of mould wash with diluted bleach. There are propriety treatments, but they are probably the same as diluted bleach.

To prevent mould, you need to prevent damp, which in your case is probably caused by condensation.

Ventilation, insulation and a vcl, (vapour control layer)

I looked at the back of the wardrobe yesterday and it was completely covered in mold.
It's a common problems, no air movement, you could add vent top and bottom to help depending on type of wardrobe, all my fitted wardrobes have no backing, I ripped it out and no problems since. The most common are the bed being too close to the wall causing trap moisture condensation created by breathing. The de-humidifier can works up to a point but push out warm moisture air back into the room again! More ventilation is the first step.

Also double check the gutters outside not leaking since replaced

Sponsored Links
I actually have an old fashioned rack at the top of the stairs, and also two maidens also on the landing where I put my washing to dry. Wet washing does not go in any of the damp rooms.

since the rooms are not airtight, the water that evaporates off the wet washing will diffuse throughout the house, and rise upwards (water vapour is lighter than air, hence clouds) until it finds a cool surface to condense on.

If you drape wet washing around the house, it will always be wet.

Sorry.

I am imaging the concept of a "classybird" with al this washing all over the place :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

The root cause, as already mentioned is all the washing. So the thing would be to reduce the amount of clothes ... which leads to another mental image of "classybird" with fewer clothes. LOL

Its one of those days. :rolleyes:

So why is it no body else I know seems to have this problem? Especially as very few people I know have tumble dryers. I never notice mold, damp or damp smells in other peoples homes that I visit. It seems very bad in my house.

Condensation and mould are invariably A "lifestyle issue"

That is to say, the person in the property is causing it, rather than the property itself.

No two properties are the same, and no-one lives and does things exactly the same as anyone else. So someone else in a different house, or someone else you your house may or may not have the problem.

Condensation and need for ventilation is your main problem, I had the same problems as you and I used warmaline polystyrene wall veneer from B & Q, I didn't buy the adhesive I used PVA glue, put it on to the walls with a roller and stuck the veneer onto it. I then wall papered over it as normal went up great no air bubbless and the difference in the warmth of touch from the walls with this veneer on is amazing compared to walls without it. It stopped the walls going damp and no mould. I did the bedroom six months ago and still looks great. Give it a go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back