damp walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

Was just wondering if anyone could help me out on this...

I have a problem with damp walls in the box room of my house. The bedroom is at the front of the house with two exterior walls (corner of the house). In cold weather the two exterior walls are dripping wet up to about 1' from the floor. The room is always cold even when heating is on. As we have just decorated late summer, this is now quite annoying as the walls are getting knackered again.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!!

Sponsored Links
it probably needs the brickwork pointing on the outside,if thats alright it could be your guttering needs looking at, has the house got cavity walls or is it a older house with solid 9" brickwork....ian

Hi

Guttering is fine, and the pointing seems ok. The house was built in 1937, and has small cavity betwee external and internal brickwork. The problem occurs in cold weather, not just when it rains.

Sponsored Links
Hi again,

The cavity is probably not a cavity as now known........

We have knocked a doorway into the same wall on the ground floor to the garage. The wall consists of outer brickwork, roughly an inch gap and then internal brickwork. Obviously there is no insulation between the two.

i am probably barking up the wrong tree, but is there
1) any insulation in the loft above the room?

2) any "vent brick" in the room

Just a thought

Hi

Yes the loft is pretty well insulated, and there is an airbrick. There is a new cover over the air brick but it is left open, so I dont think it is blocking it.
Thanx for the ideas everyone!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back