Damp Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have recently purchased a end terraced house which was riddled with damp. I am convinced that the majority of the damp was caused by issues such as faulty guttering, porus brickwork, faulty flashing, and a wall which is below the outside ground level. I have rectified as many of these issues as possible a good number of months ago and much of the house has dried out, however in some areas we appear to still have low level damp.

This property has been treated with a Chemical Injection DPC on a number of occassions by a reputable national company. It appears to me that chemical injection just doesn't work in any way shape or form and it is not the only time I have had it not work in one of my properties. Is Chemical Injection just hit and miss in general? I do not think I would every pay for such a lottery solution to be installed ever.

The Damp company who did it last we return under the guarantee they have suggested an alternative electro osmotic system made by Lectros, any ideas if this is more likely to wok than the chemical injection? The damp company will install this for free under guarantee, but if this doesn't work the only other option is an expensive retro fit of the DPC. I understand this method is often described as a myth also but sureley it can not be any worse than the Chemical System? has anyone had it work? If not id best save up!!

Anyone have any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Anyone have any thoughts?

You appear to have made up your mind on the efficacy of chemical DPCs so I won't waste your time trying to convince you otherwise. What I will say is that the electro osmotic DPC system you refer to was pretty much discredited a few years ago AFAIK in fact I am surprised you have found someone who is "selling" it as a solution. Can't remember the exact details but I'm sure the BRE/BBA were in the act and I spoke to a damp proofer about 5 years back who sold it as a "service" and he even told me "it don't work" :LOL: .

Chemical injection only works in situations were it is suitable - eg moisture not rising under pressure or suitable wall construction

Likewise, electro osmosis is based on a scientific principle but in real terms requires some specific circumstances and construction to have even a chance of meeting the claims. Poor conductance (or is it resistance?), certain ground salts and again certain ground pressure can all defeat it

The crucial part in any remedial system is diagnosing the actual cause

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back