Damp/water in concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Wondering if someone can offer some advice. I am having my kitchen tiled and today the builder ripped out the lineo that was on it to start preparing the floor.

This however, haulted the job as it revealed a huge patch of damp under the washing machine and water stains/damp running across sideways and forwards and coming out of the skirting of the nearby kitchen units.

Upon removing the washing machine, a spark flew out the washing machine and tripped the RCD. The copper pipes of the washing machine water supply were checked and there was a leak at the connection point (albeit not coming across as it being the root cause of this damp floor in the first instance).

Now the builder says that it is that pipe and the same copper pipe is probably leaking under the floor as well and he recommends replacing completely (meaning digging it out!). I don't think this is the case though as if its under the concrete screed floor why would water travel upwards?. There is also a damp proof membrane in place (when the floor was laid in 2001) and I would assume the pipes are under this too.

The builder then repaired the pipework where it was visibly leaking (i.e. at the connection point). I am now trying to dry up the floor to see if it appears again but not sure how I can dry it up quickly. Anyone have any pointers?

Sponsored Links
Copper pipe screeded into a floor, bad idea, as you have just found out. The pipe will be above the dpm, which is why the water is coming up as it can't go down (it would probably rise up anyway so not strictly relevant)
Best get shot of, if it's replaced in the floor then it should be easy to get to without digging the floor up again. Plastic pipe in a protective conduit might prove a wiser option.
Will likely take a few weeks to dry out if the room is ventilated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back