Upgrading basement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for the following covering a number of categories of entry. I'm thinking of trying to make more use of the cellar in my (old) house by installing the washing machine and dryer down there. I have a couple of questions:

1. The basement is mostly dry, except for one corner which has damp walls and floor. The floor is concrete and a bit uneven. I'm hoping to tile the floor - can anyone recommend something to put on the floor to level it off and give a solid base for tiling?

2. Is tiling over the damp bit likely to cause problems, for example could it cause the damp to rise further up the walls?

3. I have a water source in the cellar but the soil pipe is at head height, and from reading other posts I see that this could be a problem. There is a hole in the floor of the cellar, about 50cm by 50cm, about 50cm deep, could this be a soak away drain, and if so could I use it for the washing machine waste?

4. Woud the use of a washing machine and/or a dryer worsen damp problems in the cellar?

Thanks a lot in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
(3) a rotten idea - not only is it unsanitary, but the flow of water is likely to wash away the ground under the floor, and even the walls. A relation had very expensive subsidence and underpinning resulting from a bath drain discharging into the ground next to the house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back