Damp in Cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend has a cellar under his house. From what I remember it is either under the whole house or at least half of the house. Problem is, it has starting to get really damp and apparently gets watery in the cellar.

If the air brick/s are blocked, would this cause so much damp? Would a new DPM and then concreting the floor and some sort of cement render on the walls fix the issue?

Sponsored Links
Cellars are damp environments dont worry about it.. unless they plan to convert to liveable..

He has tenants in the house and they are complaining about asthma escalation due to the damp. Any ideas on reducing the damp? He will get a builder to look at it, but rather have an idea beforehand, about what needs to be done.

Sponsored Links
Is there any signs of excessive damp on the ground floor of the property ie on the walls/behind furniture or windows etc?

Is there any signs of excessive damp on the ground floor of the property ie on the walls/behind furniture or windows etc?

from the impression I got, The damp is only in the cellar.

I saw that place years back and at that time, there was no issue of damp on the living room floors or walls.

SALL2009 if your friend wishes to DIY this him/herself get him/her to post on this forum. It is inpolite for you to post on their behalf.

SALL2009 if your friend wishes to DIY this him/herself get him/her to post on this forum. It is inpolite for you to post on their behalf.
Indeed - it`s nearly as rude as the 3 pages of arguments about the newspaper seller :evil: what is DIYnot coming to :mrgreen: very impolite

DIYnot's stated purpose is to support DIYers, not friends of members who are not DIYing.

Sadly, some people don't see that spitting is impolite.

Are theses posts for real (I'm looking at you wavetrain)? Who the hell cares if a thread is started by member on someone else's behalf FFS?

I think he'd say wavetrain you're rapidly becoming the leading Forum troll, which is quite an achievement! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back