Humidifier v's fan for eradicating moisture in the cellar

Right, you've confused me. ;) You said earlier the air bricks were all on the same elevation (side of the building), but now you've 3 one side and one opposite? If that's the case I'd look at fitting a fan in place of the single air brick to forcibly vent the stale air out, and draw fresh air in from the opposite side. See if that helps.

Sponsored Links
opps, sorry didn't mean to confuse you! The latter statement is definitely correct! So definitely an air vent over a dehumidifier? It's going to be rather tricky putting in a vent in that part of the cellar since most of the surface of the cellar is much higher than the damp dirt part you can walk on. The brick part is probably around 3/4 ft deep between that and the living room floors so you can't stand up under there...hope that makes sense?

If its not easily accessible, put the fan in the accessible section, but bear in mind you need it to pull air across the cellar, if it's too near airbricks on the same side, you wont get the movement of air you desire across the space. I wouldn't want to dry it out too much using a dehumidifier in case it upsets things down there, building is used to a certain moisture level and altering that could present problems.

Ok thanks for the advice! Seems like I can't win...I have some damp patches, crescent shaped above the skirting in the livingroom which is under the bay window. There is also some stone cladding only on this side of the bay. The cellar is under this area - could moisture from the cellar be rising up to escape? Or is it likely dampness coming in from outside? I'm guessing the cladding isn't helping as there's no where for the moisture to escape?

Sponsored Links
OP,
your replies are confusing, and unless you somehow get a few photos up you wont be helping yourself.

Sorry not mean to confuse you. I can post a picture of the damp stains on the wall if you think it will help?

I'd recommend drawing an annotated view from above and any side views that would make sense to do and uploading them. Then we can suggest.

Ok. There isn moisture in the ground though - surely it will pull that too which is the main reason for wanting to get one?

Dehumidifiers are rarely useful in this situation. Ventilation is definitely the way to go. In your case adding extra vents to increase cross ventilation would be the standard advice. I have also had some success in similar situations by adding passive stack vents which go up through the building to the roof. Of course this may not be possible or too disruptive but if it can be done they are very effective. Third option for me would be mechanical extract ventilation. You don't need a huge capacity necessarily, just a slow trickle vent will make a difference. There are some very efficient automatic inline fans available now which could be fitted to an existing vent or an additional vent.

Hi Jed thanks for the reply!

I can't add passive stack vents - option 3 seems the most viable. I don't have an existing fan to add to so am I still able to use an automatic inline fan?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back