damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had an on and off problem with damp and need some advice. On my exterior wall near my air brick I seem to have damp coming through. This seems to be the start on the damp, it's at the bottom in the corner, but it has spread across both walls according to readings. The paint and plaster is coming off in the corner. The damp course has only been reinfected a few years ago, someone did look at it and say it maybe surface water, anyone any ideas on how to deal with surface water damp?

Sponsored Links
External ground level may be too high allowing rain to bounce in around vent, difficult to say without a few pics.

Hi there
From my ongoing damp problems I have learnt that damp is Normally caused by someone doing something over the years.
Mine is a raised path and this was cemented right up to the brick work.
I have just had a part tanked and I am working on lowering the outside ground level so fix mine.
Some pics always say a thousand words

Sponsored Links
Quite near to ground , I would expect rain to bounce into vent, also check the cable entry seal just above to left as it could let in rain if not sealed well.
Is the street drain clear , if it blocks during heavy rain passing traffic could soak your wall on a regular basis.

Cable entry is fine as was done after and is well sealed. The drains are dirty, I did take a picture of one of them but in all fairness I notice water builds up more on the opposite side of the road. It maybe in wet weather is is splashing through the air hole. I forgot to mention we spoke to the neighbours who are on the left as you look at the photo. They have had a similar problem but they have a similar problem but on their gable end they say it's the worse. I did write to the council about the issue they stated there was a gully outside the property which drained water away so there was no issues from their point!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back