Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a house that was built in 1895, the bathroom is downstairs and attached to the kitchen, the bathroom is originally an old outbuilding which they converted into the bathroom at some stage before I moved in, the problem is that I have damp in the bathroom, it is single brick there is no damp proofing, I am semi detached and the house that I am attached to they suffered with damp because they could not be bothered to look after the house my bathroom has dreadful damp and I think it is coming up through the floor which I assume will be concrete, my wood panelling that I have got round the bottom half of the bathroom is ver mouldy, I know some of it is because of my shower from leaking but the rest is from the damp coming up, can any one tell me how to eliminate the damp coming up through the floor.

Please help

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The only real way is to have the floor dug up, a vapour barrier laid and fresh concrete poured, unfortunately......however if this isn't possible then some impervious floor covering such as slate could help.
You must attend to the shower leak though, improve ventilation and use a dehumidifier maybe.
Its also important that the land outside is substantially lower than your internal floor level.
John :)

It sounds like there is no quick way out ,so much disturbance on the inside to try and cure the problem's and end up throwing good money after bad, a knock down and re build to a better spec, could be the way forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back