Damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. It's a long post in which i give as much info and plans as possible.

SITUATION

I'm beginning the downstairs renovation of my 1959 chalet bungalow.

It's cavity brickwork, insulated, rendered outside with concrete floors.

Removed the skirtings in the WC and study(was bathroom approx 10 years ago) Skirtings had woodworm, fell apart and had signs of damp in them. They were fixed with cut nails that were virtually non existent with rust.

After a bit of excavation i could see that the internal walls are built off of the oversite with no dpc. All walls are sand/cemented and plastered down to the oversite, bridging the dpc on the external walls. the floor was then screeded.

The floors are all bitumen/lino tile covered. there is evidence of moisture between carpet tiles and original tiles in the old bathroom.
There was moisture visible between self adhesive tiles and original tiles in the WC, which at the time of lifting, i put down to my family wetting the floor whilst hand washing etc.

There are no concealed pipes in either room. All surface mount with no leaks.

There is no evidence of a dpm in the floors of these rooms although my lounge had one which i found when rearranging a door/window combination. DPMs weren't reg until 1965 so the bitumen covered floors took care of that to a large degree.

I've borrowed a two pronged moisture meter. Readings of 0%-2% high up. 10%-20% just above dpc and 20%-36% on the screed.
Meter looks rubbish and probably is!

PLAN

Remove the screed surface to remove bitumen.
Remove sand/cement and plaster up to approx 700mm.
Inject cream dpc into mortar course one brick above original dpc inc internal walls.
Cover floor areas with 2 part epoxy dpm
2 coat sinthaprufe bare walls (2nd with sand key), lapping epoxy.
Water proof render on sinthaprufe and skim plaster.
Latex slc on floors.

After a bit of research that is the plan I've come up with. Digging up is not an option really as we've got to live here.
Any thoughts, ideas and comments will be gratefully received.

Cheers. Nick.

Sponsored Links
This is a concrete floor with with 50 year old ppes and drains

Have you got a water meter?

Where does the main water supply pipe run?

JohnD, I presume you mean the incoming main when you say buried pipes. I don't know where the toute for that is. ALL pipework is visible/accessable and above ground. Mostly installed by myself.
We are not on a meter so I guess no way of checking for leaks before the stopcock.

Cheers.

Edit. WC waste goes into the concrete floor and straight out into a manhole. All other wastes are external. WC waste is glazed and from what I can see appears sound. I've poured water down it and it all appears to come out into the manhole with no delay.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Just to add, i covered a small area of the floor with clear polythene and sealed as best i could with gaffer tape. The result showed no moisture or condensation.
I know it's a long post but if you think i'm going the right way about it a simple thumbs up will do. I'm also open to other points of view or tests that i can do.
Cheers for looking.
Nick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back