Damp ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

I have just removed the fireplace in my living room in order to replace it and when I pulled it out the hearth I thought it all smelt a bit damp. Then I removed the skirting to the side of it and that was rotting and that too smelt damp.

I can see what looks like the DPM coming through the wall if I feel and poke below the DPM the mortar is sandy and damp.

Does this mean I have a damp problem? On the outside of this wall it looks like I have a DPM at ground level, then one brick higher I have another DPM.

Grateful for any advice as to how bad this is and how I should remedy it. Obviously it's something I want to do before I put in new fireplace and decorate.

Photo below shows wall from inside. You can see the DPM below the brick and the darker (damper) sand/mortar between floor and wall.

Other info... House was built 1967, but I've lived there for 6 months, now damp or mould on walls and carpet isnt damp either.

img.php

http://img181.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=33357_dampwall_122_339lo.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is the wall in question internal or external?

If it's external the chances are that its penetrating damp probably due to the outside ground level being almost the same height relative to the inside floor level.

Ideally the inside floor level should be at least 150mm above the outside ground level.

David1805, thanks for the reply.

The wall is internal and it does look like the ground level internal and external are almost level!

There is paving on the other side of this wall, so would you suggest removing and laying 15cm lower?

By external wall I meant is it one of the outer walls of your house.

Paving on the other side suggests an external wall in which case your problem is almost certainly cuased by the indifference in levels. If it is practical then relaying your paving 15cm lower should solve your problem, unless you slope them towards the house of course :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back