Dampness behind kitchen cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

About three months ago, a dripping pipe from the flat above me starting dripping down into my kitchen. This was quickly fixed, but it was found that the pipe had been dripping for sometime down into the adjacent wall. A few weeks later, damp patches started to show inside my kitchen cupboards and mould began to grow on the back panelling - and there was a really strong smell of damp.

I've now taken the kitchen cupboards off the the wall behing was slightly clammy and very stained with mould. Have included a pic of this below. I was wondering what is the best way of sorting this? Is it as simple as painting the wall with some anti-damp / anti-mould paint and putting the cupboards back on the wall?

Thanks for the help!
[/img]

Sponsored Links
About three months ago, a dripping pipe from the flat above me starting dripping down into my kitchen. This was quickly fixed, but it was found that the pipe had been dripping for sometime down into the adjacent wall.

If it were me, I'd cut out the damp damaged section of plaster with a stanley knife to cut the perimeter. The stanley knife will minimise damage to the surrounding plaster as the damaged area comes away.

See how it looks underneath and then allow some time to let the brick/blockwork dry out before your next step.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back