Dampness on Driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure where else this one could go ....

We've returned home a couple of nights now to find the driveway wet, particularly underneath where my car normally parks, but also to a lesser extent next to my car (see pics).

In both cases, I'd been at work all day, and it looks as if there's been a car (or two cars) parked on the drive way given where the marks are.

The neighbour next door is having the exact same issue.

What is causing this?

Note in the first two pics, even although my car is parked there, we had literally just parked the car about 30 seconds before the picture was taken!

mud546.jpg

2whnvr8.jpg

24nilnk.jpg

Sponsored Links
I suspect the ground is saturated and water is rising via capilliary action. The sand and sub-base is more compacted where the cars run over it enabling water to rise faster thus giving the pattern you see.

Sponsored Links
I suspect the ground is saturated and water is rising via capilliary action. The sand and sub-base is more compacted where the cars run over it enabling water to rise faster thus giving the pattern you see.

So is this normal / nothing to worry about / we don't need to take any remedial action?

I don't think so.

If your water main is broken I think you would notice the drop in pressure so I'm assuming it's just rainwater that has accumulated. If you see signs of sinkage in the blocks or flowing water appears then further investigation is needed.

If I'm right, once we get a dry spell, it should gradually disappear.

I don't think so.

If your water main is broken I think you would notice the drop in pressure so I'm assuming it's just rainwater that has accumulated. If you see signs of sinkage in the blocks or flowing water appears then further investigation is needed.

If I'm right, once we get a dry spell, it should gradually disappear.

Ok. Will monitor this as we move into spring and report back if any issues.

Could be salt from your wheels? It will show a damp patch on the right material.

Are you on a slope or a hillside?

Doubt that its water supply pipe related - in that modern house the supply will be one-piece Alky. FWIW, Just peer down the external shut-off box to check for water.

I know nothing about block laying as such but in a utube vid it was stressed that a thorough compaction of the oversite and sub base was vital.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back