Dangers with replenishing Air Gap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have decided that a likely cause of my downstairs shower leaking when the boiler is switched on is the the Megaflo Air Gap needs replenishing. I know how to carry out the procedure but was wondering if there are any dangers when doing it and if it was no the cause of the problem whether that could cause any new problems? Alternatively is there any way of being 100% sure that the problem lies with the Megaflo and that this is the correct method of sorting it?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

Sponsored Links
M@artin, You should really get it serviced and get it all checked out by a qualified G3/UVHW engineer. That way it is his responsibility to ensure it is fixed correctly. Un-vented systems can be potentially lethal, especially where excessive pressure is concerned.

Resetting the air gap is a user capable procedure. You do NOT need to be qualified to do it. In fact the instructions are written on the side of the Megaflo for just this reason.

Isolate mains water to the Megaflo. Open hot taps (especially low down in the house, I tend to open them all though). Open the pressure relief valves on the Megaflo until water stops going down the discharge pipe. Close all the hot taps. Turn mains water back on. Wait for water to stop filling the cylinder (you'll hear it). Slowly open hot taps in turn to get rid of air in the pipes (they will spit a lot as the air comes through, you might get a bit wet!). Done.

Sponsored Links
Recharging the air bubble is also part of the annual safety service, it confirms that all safety controls and valves are in proper working order killing a few birds with one stone there IMO. It also ensures you don't have a potential missile brewing in your airing cupboard

If the shower is leaking and the pressure relief valve isn't, I'd definitely be getting someone in to look at it, as it sounds like the pressure relief valve is jammed shut which is very dangerous

If the shower is leaking and the pressure relief valve isn't, I'd definitely be getting someone in to look at it, as it sounds like the pressure relief valve is jammed shut which is very dangerous
More likely that the shower is faulty and letting off the excess pressure before the PRV even gets a chance to open.

More likely that the shower is faulty and letting off the excess pressure before the PRV even gets a chance to open.
Possibly, but better to be safe than sorry

Possibly, but better to be safe than sorry
How likely is it that both the "cold" PRV and TPRV have gone faulty at once? ;)

I'd rather be safe and £70 lighter, than sorry to be perfectly honest. The alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back