Danish oil leaving smell on oak worktops - solutions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have had a new kitchen installed recently. The worktops and upstands are made of oak, and they have been treated with Danish oil by the kitchen installer before installation (and then another 2 to 3 times by myself after installation). All this was done more than six weeks ago.

Since the kitchen install I have noticed a lingering smell in the kitchen which builds up really quickly if there is no ventilation (e.g. over night). I believe it is due to the danish oil (maybe I have used too much of it?). I hate this smell and want to get rid of it.

What would be the best solution? Trying to sand down the worktops and start again using a different product (e.g. Osmo top oil)? Having said that I am a woodworking novice. The worktops are looking lovely now, and I don't want to spoil the look.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back