Dark spots under newly painted plaster - HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I recently got round to painting a newly skimmed bedroom. After giving first coat of diluted dulux supermatt... patches of the paster do not take the paint and appear darker. Tried a second coat on these areas and it wont go away.
Can anyone suggest what has happened.. gone wrong!

The ceiling were also done but appear perfect.. so just the walls...

Sponsored Links
Sounds at this stage that the skim wasnt fully dry when you applied your paint, tell me was the skim pink and uniform in colour or did it have those dark patches before you started to paint.

Hot air rises so it would be possible that your ceiling was dry and yet your walls were not.

Dec.

The plaster was left to dry for about 5 weeks.. so pretty sure it was dry. And no the dark spots only became visable after the paint was applied. It was almost like the paint did not want to stick to certain parts of the plaster.
The second coat is the same.

are the dark patches brick-shaped, or is the wall near a possible source of water, including an adjacent bathroom or downpipe, or a windowframe, cracked brick or bad pointing? a wet brick can extend the drying time a lot.

possibly the plaster was over-polished with the trowel, which prevents paint sticking. You can roughen the surface slightly with wire wool or 150 grade sandpaper, after removing the loose paint. Sponge off any plaster dust or powdery film. Dilute the first coat of matt emulsion with 20% water to help it soak in.

Never use PVA on plaster you are going to paint.

Sponsored Links
Yes I agree either the ingress of moisture or polished skim, if I had to choose I would say the latter.

I think you would be fine following the advice given by JohnD here, I if I may will point out possible flaw, the use of wirewool when useing waterbased paints can become problematic regarding its longevity. The use of wirewool will leave metal deposits on the wall and the application of a waterbased paint will cause these to rust, these could and I do mean could in time appear on the surface.

Dec.

ah yes, forgot that, rust marks, thanks.

No probs John, to be honest this is a rare occurance, the metal particles will become trapped within the first coat and sealed within the second.

However it remains a possibility.

Dec.

Thanks for your suggestions...
The walls are both internal.. so no possibility of water pipes/dampness...
I will sand down and try again...

Thanks once again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back