De Dietrich combi boiler has pressure fluctuations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - this has happen 3 times now. After 2 - 3 weeks the boiler loses pressure and there is no hot water. I then turn on the 2 buttons that are supposed to increase pressure - wait 10 - 15 minutes - nothing happens - turn off buttons - go back later and pressure is on maximum. The boiler does not have any tap to drain out to reduce pressure and I have to call out service engineer. He came last on 1/8/17 - now it is doing the same thing again but engineer can't come till Monday. I have tried to look up what he should do - all I can see is the electrics should be cut and the boiler drained out completely. Is that correct? I am in France and my French is not very good. I want to know what to tell the engineer as whatever he did 1/8/17 has not worked. Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Buttons to increase pressure ? that's a new one, could you give a model name/number and perhaps a link to the instructions ?

It is not really a ''button'' - there are 2 ''knobs'' under the wall mounted boiler which you turn clockwise to increase pressure - I think ''button'' is ''knob'' in French!

The model is ''City 1.24/ll GN - or City 1.24/ll B/P - as on the front of the instruction manual. It is wall mounted. I have the instructions in French - I could not find the model on the DeDietrich web site - only on French DIY forums. When the engineer came on 1/8/17 he took off the front cover to make adjustments and said I could not fix it myself. The instruction manual just shows how to work the boiler and pictures of the interior - nothing about fixing any problems. Thanks very much for taking time to answer my query.

Sponsored Links
You may have a faulty gauge, maybe that's why its not registering when you open the knobs, if you have radiators open one of the air vents and it will (eventually) bring the pressure down.

Thanks - the very high pressure - showing 2.5 has already gone down to 2.0 ( I ran a lot of hot water). It will now probably go down to a pressure which gives no hot water at all. I wanted to know what to say to the engineer on Monday, who is under contract, to ensure I do not keep getting this problem every few days - if there is a permanent solution. He has been before about it.

Assuming your boiler has the same safety features as boilers here, get the engineer to check the expansion vessel precharge, that the safety valve is not leaking (should be a pipe to outside) and that there are no obvious leaks anywhere on the pipework.

Thanks Picasso - will make a note of that. I know the pressure gauge is working because the first thing I know when it is too low is that I have no hot water - the boiler is in a basement location and I never look at it. I need to get the boiler working as I will soon need to put some central heating on for the cooler months as there will be no one here and the house gets very damp if no heating.

A full service as described in the manual will help

I am wondering if the fact that I have turned the central heating off on the boiler this summer instead of on the thermostat - which is very complicate- having never done that in the past - would that affect the boiler pressure??

Copy all the post & responses & use "google translate" to give the engineer an idea what the problem is in his own language

Thanks - I did google the problem as well and have translated to French the main details - such as ''faulty expansion vessel'' and ''faulty relief valve'' but it could be that direct translations of these words are not what the items are called in French!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back