De-sludging and sealing a possible leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ideal combi-boiler which is about five years old. He's usually quite reliable, but needs a little help at the moment.
The pressure keeps dropping and I suspect a small leak somewhere inaccessible. As long as I keep the thermostats turned up, I have no problems, but once the system is off for a few hours the pressure drops and it won't fire up again. But I can't keep the thermos calling for 24 all winter. I would have to sell the kids. Our 'friendly' nationwide service providers cannot find a problem. For this I pay over 30 quid a month. I think I have a leak somewhere. Or am willing to try to rule this out first.
The 'friendlies' also say I have sludge in some of my newer radiators as these have very narrow pipes inside. They say for £650 they can come and flush out my pipes. I say the kids deserve at least an orange in their Xmas stocking.
I am thinking first to run through a sludge remover to get the newer rads clean and up to the job. Then run through a solution designed to self-seal any small leaks it comes across.
Can anyone recommend solutions for this? My local plumbers merchants has some home-brand solutions, but I would rather use something recommended. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
what ?

QUOTE ! Our 'friendly' nationwide service providers cannot find a problem?

who is it ?

I think they are pulling your leg

Sponsored Links
We charge £350 for a power flush so you could pop an apple in the sock too lol.
If you go for a power flush use an independent they are alot cheaper.
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back