De-stress with some mental math.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The scenario.
A winding 'A' class road, For a distance of 7 miles to a motorway junction, limits vary between 40 and 60 mph, no safe overtaking, many sections with double continuous white lines, used extensively by large artics' etc.

Surmise, 7 miles at 60 mph (exceeding speed limit in places), no traffic = 7 mins. but more likely 8.5 mins.
Normally artics are making between 40 and 50 mph for pretty well all the 7 miles.
Worse scenario at 40 MPH.
Time for 7 miles at 40 mph = 60/40*7=10.5 mins
(60 divided by ExpectedAverageSpeed times DistanceToCover)= TimeMinsRequired
A great little de-stresser, do the calc in your head, then ask yourself, "Is it worth overtaking or being stressed by the perceived time loss, to save at the very best 3.5 mins (more likely 2 mins)?" There is only one sensible answer to that.
Anyway, by the time you have succeed with the math... either have arrived ... or forgotten the urgency anyway!!
It does work !!
P

Sponsored Links
I live 60 miles from my parents, 50 miles of the journey is the A1M and the M25. It takes me an hour, almost to the minute, no matter how I drive (within reason!). So, I drive at 70mph on the button and try not to stress about any hold-ups!

I once managed to do it in 50 minutes but that was driving far too fast and I am sure the Police would have been happy to use up the 10 minutes I had saved if they had pulled me. :confused:

And that guy off Top Gear reckoned that driving calmly and considerately got him where he was going in the exact same amount of time as driving like a Jeremy Clarkson, through experiment!

As an old man once told me, "Better to be minutes late in this life than to be years early into the next".

I agree Adam.

On the route I mentioned, I have watched powerful motors overtake the artics on double continuous white lines !! An absolute cardinal sin in my book !! I wonder if they realised that the guy they had overtaken previous to the artic was ready to be a witness to their dangerous driving had they crashed ?

P.

A bus leaves the depot with 40 passengers onboard, at the first stop 6 passengers get off, none get on, at the second stop 10 get off and 2 get on
at the city centre stop 24 get off and 8 get on on the way back to the depot no passengers get off yet there is not a single person onboard how is this possible?

Sponsored Links
A disgruntled ex-cop strapped a bomb to the bus, the driver went below 50mph so the bomb went off. It was a stink bomb, so everyone just leapt out of the windows and emergency exits.

Sponsored Links
Back