Dead graphics card?

It all depends upon how much RAM you have on your computer, as, if the card needs a lot of memory to perform a certain graphics task, it will use some of the RAM and thus, if you don't have lot, it will result in your computer slowing a little, but not noticable.

I suggested the 256MB because the rest of your computer is only two years old and so you will get slightly better performance but for a decent period of time as your PC has plenty of life left in it.

dave

Sponsored Links
I think it's 2gb of ram. Could that be right?
Could you give me a clue how to find out?
Thanks.

2GB could be right, to find out, if using XP
Start -> right click My Computer -> select Properties.

On the first (General) Tab it will say near the bottom what size RAM you have.

If 2GB you have plenty and could get a graphics card with just 128MB of memory.

dave

Yes it's 2gb.
So the graphics card actually has it's own ram, but it might use more than it has, and then it uses the pc's ram?
So am I likely to notice any increased video graphics if I get a 250 card? If not, I'll just stick with the 128.
Thanks again. All very useful.

By the way, my other monitor (an old bigun) is going pink. Any clues?

Sponsored Links
If you do video editing or anything withfast moving pictures, the better the card is with more memory. If it has plenty of its own memory and does not need to borrow RAM then the pictures are much smoother in action and a lot less jerky.
Depending on what you do with 'moving' graphics or pictures, then decide which size memory to go for.

As for your CRT Monitor with the 'pink' screen, it sounds to be on it's way out, probably one of the colour guns failing. Too expensive to get them repaired compared with buying a flat screen monitor.

dave

Ok I know where I'm going and I know more than I did this morning, always a good thing.

You've been a great help today thanks. Over and out.

Back