Dead Nest E thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently installed a Nest E which worked fine once the battery on the base unit had been charged up. However the thermostat has stopped working in that it's just dead. Its powered via USB and the charger is working as I've checked it with another device, but the cable is hardwired so cant tell if there is a fault with that. Could there be an issue with the battery that is causing it not to work? Perhaps the battery can't hold a charge so despite it being permanently plugged in it won't work? It's not helped by many of the references online to Nest E refer to a wall mounted, battery powered version which is different to the freestanding, USB powered version I have. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it’s the Nest E then? Does it not come on at all?

The thermostat is just dead. When I first plugged it in a few weeks ago when I first installed it, it didn't work, but after a couple of hours it came to life and has worked fine until today. The heating can be turned on through pressing the centre button on the heatlink that's installed next to the boiler. I'm sure its an Thermostat E - its the same as this one:

Apologies, yes it’s the Nest E, it’s the heatlink that’s usually wall mounted. If it’s under warranty Google will send another? Not sure what else to advise, sorry.

Sponsored Links
It can be a bit confusing - web searches for the Nest Thermostat E will inevitably include the American versions, which are very different units.
For clarity, the Nest Thermostat E heatlink is wall mounted and battery powered.
The thermostat itself, is USB powered and mounted on a non-removable (as far as I can tell?) base.
The thermostat however, does also have a non-userserviceable rechargable battery installed. As with the other Nest thermostats, this is used for bursts of power when it is sending radio signals to the heatlink etc.
The Nest wouldn't be able to send these signals and power it's other functions from the USB power source alone.

....although you've suggested the USB power supply is working, it might be worth leaving it plugged in to another charger overnight, and seeing if that brings it back to life.
Otherwise, contact Nest - you may have a faulty unit.

No problem and thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, it came free with a new boiler (from Mr central heating) which was purchased about 18 months ago, but I will try contacting google and see what they can do.

No problem and thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, it came free with a new boiler (from Mr central heating) which was purchased about 18 months ago, but I will try contacting google and see what they can do.
There have been some stories on here about Google being good at sending replacements, so it's definitely worth trying.

A quick update as I've just checked online with google and it is covered under warranty despite having been free and not installed for 18 months. Google have gone up in my estimation!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back