Dead spiders in water butt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently installed a water butt connected directly to the shed drain pipe, ie. the downpipe goes directly into the top of the water butt. I had a look yesterday to see how much water I had collected and was shocked to see 8 large spiders dead in the bottom. What can I do to prevent more dying - I like spiders, they keep the flies at bay.

Sponsored Links
you could put wire mesh up covered with an old nylon in the top of the down pipe but i suspect if the spider has reached the pipe incy wincy has had it anyway as the weight of water and surface tension are likly to trap them :rolleyes: :cry:

piece of wood so they can climb out, if they manage to reach the side?

but this is the time of year for big spiders, you may find the death toll reduces.

or put some goldfish in the butt, they will keep mosquito larvae down and see that the spiders do not die in vain.

piece of string tied to the downpipe that dangles in the water so they can climb out. also leave something floating in the water what they can climb on, try a lolly stick they can take up surfing while they wait for the string to come around

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the ideas, i'll give them a go. I like the idea of string as that can go from the gutter, down the downpipe and right into the water butt. A good method of escape!!

a better idea (since string will rot) and it looks nice is a galvanised chain

they use big chains for commercial properties.

clicky

I have one from my gutter to a pot plant (too dark to get a pic :cry:

(mind you its a very big pot, and the gutter is on a gnd floor "extension"

I now have an escape chain from the bottom of the butt, up the drain pipe and out to the roof above the gutter. There are also some floating islands (bits of wood). Since I installed these there have been no further fatalities in my water butt. Has it worked? I'll just have to wait and see....

perhaps you may like to add some of these

images

string ladders are common clicky

i WILL get that pic

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back