Dealing with rainwater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Building control are ready to sign off the extension (within PD), however, the last remaining element which needs covering is the removal of rainwater from the roof...

We have a combined system so the rainwater can mix with all waste from the property in the stack. Currently the 68mm downpipe is just draining onto the border through a pipe I have set up as a temporary fix to keep water away from the house. He nipped up the other week and asked that the rainwater from the downpipe needs to either go into a soakaway or into a gully in the ground. He's now on annual leave for a fortnight.

I have laid the new patio now after having the underground soil connections repaired and renewed to accomodate a new toilet downstairs, so I'm trying to look for alternative methods. Aesthetics aren't a real concern as the wall the pipes are on is fairly out of sight.

Understand that connecting the downpipe into the stack will allow venting of gases into the guttering, so does anybody know if it's possible to have the trap above ground rather than in the gulley? It won't look idea but it'll stop the venting of gases into the downpipe.

Sponsored Links
You can't connect straight into a soil stack with a rainwater pipe, it will need to go into a trapped gully.

a plastic bottle gulley could sit on the ground and connect into a branch at lowlevel into soil pipe. Odd but functional. the contraption could be bricked round for asthetics and protection.

a plastic bottle gulley could sit on the ground and connect into a branch at lowlevel into soil pipe. Odd but functional. the contraption could be bricked round for asthetics and protection.

That's interesting I will take a look. Plenty of space around the bottom of the stack to connect it up. I just want to avoid having to go under ground again this late in the project.

The washing machine connects to the same stack using a boss which I connected. The trap is obviously inside the house behind the washer and he was happy with this. It made me think that if a trap was used for rainwater, the effect is exactly the same.

Sponsored Links
You can't connect straight into a soil stack with a rainwater pipe, it will need to go into a trapped gully.

Understand the need for the trap, but it was the gully element I wasn't happy with only because it meant digging up post-completion of a patio. This had never been raised before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back