Grey water to rainwater connections?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does grey water waste (bath, shower, sink) have to connect to the soil stack or can I connect it to a hopper on the rainwater downpipe? If I don't connect it to the rainwater pipe, I have to make an awkward diversion around the rainwater pipe to reach the soil stack or run the pipework through a load of internal joists. If I were connect it to a separate drainpipe of its own it will run parallel to the rainwater pipe and discharge into the same drain which seems kind of pointless. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's an old house (victorian) and so the rainwater and soil/waste water pipes go into the same drain already so I wouldn't actually be changing anything - is it still an offence? Thank you

it is not an offence for rainwater to be connected to sewer or foul but it is an offence to connect the other way around.

but....

local authorities and water companies are collaborating to ensure collection and drainage of rainwater occurs within each homeowners own boundary and that as little stress as possible is placed upon the current rainwater drainage system.

Sponsored Links
If there are existing combined connections to a drain (a combined system), then you can connect to what pipe you like as it will all go down the same drain.

The only issue may be if the downpipe is not trapped, in which case you may get some smells coming up the downpipe

Hi. On a combined system (Double check that is what you have) as has been stated, the system needs to be trapped (water seal) all the sanitary fitments should be trapped on the waste pipes, once discharged into hopper the downpipe from the hopper enters a trap at ground level usually a 4" trapped gully before entering the combined soil and rain water system via a manhole. Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back