neighbours rainwater and grey water going into our guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a DIY novice so please bear with me. Since moving into our property we have heard a continuous drip of water, even when it's not raining.

After inspection I've noticed our neighbours rainwater guttering goes into ours, this seems to be happening with other properties on the street (1930's housing). However, it looks like there is grey water is coming out of their house into our rainwater guttering too. We have separate guttering for our grey water.

My questions are:
Is it an offence for their rainwater guttering to be connected to ours?
Is it an offence for their grey water to be going into our rainwater guttering?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
An offence for their gutter to be connected to yours? Seriously? If that were the case then, by your own statement, every other house in the vicinity is an offender.

As for the 'grey' water, a little more info is needed as you seem a little unsure if it is actually grey water.

When you say grey water in to your guttering, do you mean gutter or downpipe?

It was standard to run basin/bath waste into a rainwater pipe.

Posting pics with annotated explanations would help - this can be a straightforward business or a complicated issue.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses everyone.

It is going into the gutter. Essentially there is a hose coming out of their bathroom that is going into the guttering which runs along their extension and goes into the guttering (railway) into our extension. This all then goes into a small gulley into our garden. It is continuously dripping even though it's not been raining for some time.

We are in the process of trying to find out what is coming out of their hose, however by the design of all the other houses on the street including ours they all have their own down pipe but for grey water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back