Dealing with wires on removed lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had to remove a ceiling light and am wondering what to do with the wires supplying the light.

Am planning on re-installing another light, or possibly set of downlighters (possibly LEDs) - not sure exactly what yet, as this won't be happening for a while. Also have to get the ceiling re-plastered.

I'd like to know the correct way to temporarily make these wires safe. I have taken a photo of the fitting to show where each of the wires went, and now want to remove the fitting itself. Would leaving the wires in the (white opaque) connector strip be OK? OR should something else be done?

I'd be very grateful for any directions here..!

Sponsored Links
You need to follow this guide //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539[/QUOTE]
blank_65x10_T.gif
whssign.gif

Also please note that to actually get photo(s) to appear in your post you need to do all 11 steps.

Or in a fraction of the time it takes to go through that convoluted process you could use an image hosting site such as http://www.postimage.org

Sponsored Links
Looks like you'd have to cut the connector away - only the incoming wires have a screw terminal, and that would make the old light less useful if it should ever be needed again.

But a 3-way piece of strip in a choc-box

CHOCBOXA.JPG

CHOCBOXB.JPG

will be fine.

And even though you are absolutely sure that you cannot possibly ever forget where the light is, and where the cables are, before it's all plastered over and concealed, take photos and make measurements, just in case you do. ;)

Thanks a lot for your advice and information, ban-all-sheds!

After having removed the fitting, the only wires protruding from the ceiling are the three: exposed earth wire (with green/yellow sleeve), brown and blue.

I presume this means this light is not part of a radial circuit, so can't be connected in the same way as those choc box examples.

This room has some wall lights (controlled by separate switch) which will be sufficient for the space while work is being done, so if I can make this ceiling light cable safe for this period (al least next few weeks), all will be well.

**EDIT: I've just found the junction box under the floorboards above - and located this cable. So should be possible to simply remove it from there, being careful to avoid disrupting any other connections inside. Will make sure I take photos of before and after, just in case...

When you remove the light, you may well find that there are more cables and another termination block stuffed up in the ceiling. You will need to take a number of steps to deal with this, especially if you go for the downlight option.

My advice is to do choose your light fitting(s) and do absolutely all of your cabling etc BEFORE the plasterwork is carried out.

Thanks, Taylortwocities.

What you said was the case: I've found the JB under the floorboards above. Thankfully it's very easy to get to.

I'll just remove that particular cable for now, to make it safe. Then start properly reviewing the options and planning the next system.

(btw, the reason I was in a rush to get this light out before hte new system is that it was attached to some awful roughsawn planks which were nailed over the ceiling. Want to get rid of these and put them in the skip with other rubbish, while I can.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back