Re-wire 80's lighting circuit or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Have just bought a Victorian first floor 2 bed conversion. Am having it re-wired but the lighting circuit is difficult to access as there are people living in the flat above whom I'm sure wouldn't let me pull their carpets and floorboards up to access the wiring. Also there are nice ornate ceiling roses and coving which I'd like to retain which means cutting a chase up the walls and across the lath and plaster ceiling would be pretty difficult too.
The lights all work and have the white sheathed red/black twin and earth cable.
I'm thinking about putting a new loop cable under the floor and up in to the switches and re-using the switch wire to connect to the ceiling roses.
Any comments gratefully received.

Many thanks

Angus.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest confirming that you have continuity of earth/CPC and checking that the insulation resistance of the conductors is in good order.
That will help assess if any rewiring of the lighting circuit is required.

I don't see any great benefit to running a new cable up to a switch point.
1) Unlikely to improve the existing installation by much
2) I would be surprised if you found all the required conductors (live, neutral and CPC/earth) at the one switch. Don't be fooled by switch lives believing them to be neutral.

Sponsored Links
80's wiring is often perfectly good and doesn't need replacing. The only issue you will probably encounter is a lack of sockets!

When I recently renovated a mid 80's apartment, we just added some extra electrics and had the consumer unit replaced with a fully loaded RCBO one, and of course a full inspection.

I've rewired flats with ornate plaster ceilings and no access above the ceiling.

This is where a good electrician earns his money.

19062006164-2.jpg

80's wiring is often perfectly good and doesn't need replacing. The only issue you will probably encounter is a lack of sockets!

I am installing one new cable from the CU to the far end of the lighting circuit (it'll loop through the smoke detectors on the way). Then I'll connect it to the lighting circuit far end and split the circuit at the midpoint, to give 2 separate radial.

Wow, nice job RFlighting, don't spose you'd let us in on how you did it? ;)

You need to spend years working with really skilled electricians as well as other trades too like builders, joiners, plasterers etc, working on a really wide variety of building types, whilst building up a comprehensive tool kit of both shop bought and home made tools.

What he hasn't told you is that's the (relatively) easy bit... try delicately chasing behind the coving when you've found a blockage and can't drag the new cable through by tying it onto the old fabric covered stuff.... you discover the reason is two lengths of galv. capping of different sizes butted up together.

Behind the coving????? :eek:

And trying to delicately stitch drill a wall for a socket box, knowing you must not damage the anaglypta wallpaper.

At all.

Or your b*lls are history!

And that's just the customer, never mind your boss.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back