Decanting paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With most woodwork paints there is a significant saving to be made if buying a 2.5L can over a 1L can.

Do you think it'd cause any issues with the paint if decanting some from the 2.5L into a 1L can which was recently used? Holding a 1L can would be far easier whilst painting!

Sponsored Links
shouldn't make any difference, but why don't you use a kettle for paint or put 1lt tin in kettle easier to hold a handle

I buy pots and cans sustainable for water-based paint. There is a difference in metal tins for solvent or water-based paints. Use wrong one and it will rust.
The less air at the top the better for storage, so
I use the plastic screw lid pots mostly from eBay.
Veg nets from supermarket to filter paint bits out.

Sponsored Links
When working on scaffolding. I decant a small amount of the oil based in to a number of 1L paint kettles with lids. I know the gloss paint will skin-over after a day, so I rotate 3 different kettles, selecting the one that has a skin thick enough to be removed.

Water based paint tends to stay good for at least a month.

I don't like using full tins on scaffolding. If the wind builds up it can blow lots of grit off the boards above and into the paint.

Another advantage of using kettles with lids is that the lid sits over the top of the kettle, rather than in the top of the tin. That means if it rains, none of the rain will make its way into the tin.

Some paints, eg Zinsser BIN, I pour in to jars with lids if I only need a small amount.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back