Decent wireless intecoms?

Sponsored Links
try PMR446 short range radio sets.

But do not use them for sensitive / private messages as the communication is not secure..

Avoid units that communicate over the mains wiring, they too are not secure from evesdropping.

try PMR446 short range radio sets.

But do not use them for sensitive / private messages as the communication is not secure..

Avoid units that communicate over the mains wiring, they too are not secure from evesdropping.

oops sorry, I meant front door intercoms lol

Budget?

Audio only or video too?

Range?

Any special requirements such as remote door unlock?

Any other important or relevant considerations?

Sponsored Links
I found a site called Mr Door Bell and I bought this unit
CL6011B.jpg
it is a little bigger than I expected now powered with 12 Vdc but can work with U2 cells. I have it with supplied hand set, but it can be set to work with a cordless phone. So cons first.

* There is a delay between pressing the door push and the remote unit sounding.
* It is rather large at front door.
* It can only be set to one cordless phone, it is in essence one of the 5 units which can work together, and pressing the door bell is like selecting another of the group of cordless phones.

Now the Pros
With it's own base set it can be set to auto release the door, the audio is reasonable, and easy to install.

In real terms it was a failure, idea was my mother could answer the door without getting into the wheel chair and going to the door, however we could not get her to use it, how ever many times we showed her how to talk to people at the door it failed. We are about to go and live with her, and the idea of having the remote up stairs where we will live is good, don't mind going down the stairs, it's going back up which is the problem.

I am sure there are better, but these are reasonably cheap. You can buy the door bell without the receiver and use one of your cordless phones. Not tried that yet, but with cordless phones you can press speaker so you don't need to hold it to ones ear.

I tried to work out the frequency it used, with the idea that I could use my transceiver, however could not find it. Clearly by chance some one may latch into your cordless phones, but I would think this is remote, and it would be more of a worry having some one hearing your phone conversation than the phone to door bell.

I found a site called Mr Door Bell and I bought this unit
CL6011B.jpg
it is a little bigger than I expected now powered with 12 Vdc but can work with U2 cells. I have it with supplied hand set, but it can be set to work with a cordless phone. So cons first.

* There is a delay between pressing the door push and the remote unit sounding.
* It is rather large at front door.
* It can only be set to one cordless phone, it is in essence one of the 5 units which can work together, and pressing the door bell is like selecting another of the group of cordless phones.

Now the Pros
With it's own base set it can be set to auto release the door, the audio is reasonable, and easy to install.

In real terms it was a failure, idea was my mother could answer the door without getting into the wheel chair and going to the door, however we could not get her to use it, how ever many times we showed her how to talk to people at the door it failed. We are about to go and live with her, and the idea of having the remote up stairs where we will live is good, don't mind going down the stairs, it's going back up which is the problem.

I am sure there are better, but these are reasonably cheap. You can buy the door bell without the receiver and use one of your cordless phones. Not tried that yet, but with cordless phones you can press speaker so you don't need to hold it to ones ear.

I tried to work out the frequency it used, with the idea that I could use my transceiver, however could not find it. Clearly by chance some one may latch into your cordless phones, but I would think this is remote, and it would be more of a worry having some one hearing your phone conversation than the phone to door bell.

Thank you! I will look into this, tenants have not complained so far so a bell is working fine at the moment!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back