Decisions decision... LPG vs oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per previous posts, I've been looking at replacing a Rayburn with and oil fired boiler.

A new thought I have now is about LPG vs. oil. I know LPG is more expensive, but as the whole kitchen (where the boiler is) is being changed, I quite like the idea of a gas hob which is making me start to wonder if I want to to do the boiler and hob on LPG.

The basic question is really, is LPG a viable alternative? If I go down the cylinder storage route, how often am I going to be changing them or do I need to be thinking about a larger storage tank?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Amazing that you dont give the most basic information about the size of your house and ideally the rad heat output or the whole house calculated heat loss.

If you choose the big cylinders I am told they last about 4-8 weeks for TWO if collected. BUT you need a pickup or trailer or big estate car. Slight question of legality there too.

A bulk tank usually means you are tied to Calor ( or Calor ) and their prices. A cylinder usually means you are tied to the local retailer.

Oil does give you some choice of supplier, expensive or expensive!

I would probably choose oil bulk tank for heatinbg and a SMALL cylinder ( or two ) for cooking. They can last many weeks depending on how you do cooking.

Tony

Amazing that you dont give the most basic information about the size of your house and ideally the rad heat output or the whole house calculated heat loss.

Good point... main reason being that this is still all in the thought process and haven't even got down to the details. Was looking for a general feel rather than specifics, I suppose.

Thanks for the response.

Just to muddy the waters, have you considered a pellet boiler or a log gassifier?..... As Tony has said, with propane the suppliers have you over a barrel and there is a section of society who make it their mission to relieve you of your hard earned oil so that they may tow their caravans with their Transit pickups

Sponsored Links
You can have both!
It is easy to run a gas range cooker off a 47kg bottle. One bottle unless you do lots and lots of cooking is going to last ages and ages. Like maybe 2-3 47kg bottles a year tops. You'll need two bottles one to swap to while the other is being refilled. LPG will be expensive on heating so I suggest get an oil boiler for the heating. OFTEC would have us believe that oil is the cheapest way to heat
an average house at the moment. The boilers are also solid and very reliable and will last 20 years easy.

Just to muddy the waters, have you considered a pellet boiler or a log gassifier?..... As Tony has said, with propane the suppliers have you over a barrel and there is a section of society who make it their mission to relieve you of your hard earned oil so that they may tow their caravans with their Transit pickups

Pellet boilers require a relatively expensive fuel, and it takes a huge store to have enough fuel in stock.

Pellet boilers require a relatively expensive fuel, and it takes a huge store to have enough fuel in stock.

Still doing my homework on the costs of running pellets but there seems to be an advantage in oil at current prices but the price of oil is low at the moment (Compared to last Winter) where as Pellets are relatively new and rare so I would anticipate prices being stable while oil increases.... Besides I hate the smell of oil....

I guess that wood pellet still uses waste wood.

If so then imagine if it because so popular that the demand exceeded the available waste wood.

What would happen to the cost?

Tony

Pellets can be made of any organic material that will burn. In the UK they are predominately made from waste timber or virgin timber grown specifically for pellet production though I have seen pellets made from Sunflower seed husks and reed, I'm sure that the possibilities are endless.
Indeed there will be a level where demand outstrips supply but with the number of pellet boilers out there and the number that I guess are being fitted it will be a very long time before we get there...... Biomass won't be suitable for everyone but my area is pretty rural and it does give a fith option to folk who are off mains gas...

Cylinders arent really a viable alternative to oil for heating, you could find you're using one a week. At 55 quid a bottle that would get very expensive. Do you have space in your garden to have a bulk tank installed? You can have an underground one so you don't lose any garden space. You need to look at the total finances though to work out whether it really is a viable alternative to oil for you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back