Decking and potential for future cables: conduit yes or no?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

we are starting to build some decking in our property; at the bottom of the property we could potentially build one day a garden room - but perhaps not.

Would you lay some corrugated conduit when building the deck, so cables can be easily slid under the deck when/if the day comes that we are building a garden room? Or will the boards be easy enough to remove in the future, and might as well save the money and time to install two corrugated conduits (one for electrics and one for LAN)?

Have never owned a deck so I am a bit clueless on such a trivial question.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Conduits today for sure,

Decking boards are very seldom easy to lift without leaving visible damage. Often the screws have to be drilled out when they refuse to allow you to remove them with a screw driver.

Plug the ends to prevent water, muck and animals getting into the ducts

That goes to show my utter inexperience for all things decking!
Thanks for that guys!

Do you think a 4mm SWA will pas through easily a 20mm corrugated or will I need the 25mm one?

Sponsored Links
The diameter of 4mm² 3 Core PVC SWA XLPE Armoured is 16mm

Often overlooked is the minimum bend radius which must be greater than 6 times the external diameter of the cable.

With the internal diameter of the 20mm corrugated being 15mm, I guess I will purchase the 25mm and it will be a push!
Thanks about the minimum bend radius info, luckily I love sweepy bends

You want twinwall ducting, 40mm ID minimum, with a rope inside.

Was already thinking about the rope thanks.
40mm, sounds like a job for a solvent weld pipe.. o_O

Scrap that.
The conduit is useless in terms of protection,.as the SWA is protecting the actual cable from vermin.
This if I were to lay a nylon cord through 40mm clips, surely that is good enough?

We're starting with the deck Wednesday and I would need to get the 50mm twinwall ordered; and on the off chance that we might pass one single cable through it one day, I don't see a benefit in forking out 50 quid.
Or am I missing something?

Scrap that.
The conduit is useless in terms of protection,.as the SWA is protecting the actual cable from vermin.
This if I were to lay a nylon cord through 40mm clips, surely that is good enough?

We're starting with the deck Wednesday and I would need to get the 50mm twinwall ordered; and on the off chance that we might pass one single cable through it one day, I don't see a benefit in forking out 50 quid.
Or am I missing something?

Just get waste pipe from Screwfix or something, only costs a couple of quid as you say it doesn't need tonnes of protection as it would be swa you use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back