Decking joist (ledger) fixed to wall is "in the way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently running some exterior cabling in 50mm external diameter flexible duct between two buildings. At one end, the cable will be running under wooden decking.

Upon lifting the decking to dig the trench, I was surprised to find that the decking is suspended a few inches above the soil, and that on the building edge, a joist is bolted onto the brick wall of the building (given the state of most of the construction in the house, I'd assumed that it was just laid flat onto the soil and left to rot - this discovery is simultaneously a nice and an annoying surprise)

The difficulty I have is that I want to ducting to emerge through the decking right up against the wall, however the joist as it stands will currently prevent that.

The joists are 50mm wide and 150mm deep, meaning that the duct is the full width of a joist - a notch doesn't help much.

Is there a neat way of resolving this without having to have the duct emerge 50mm from the wall? I'm assuming not, but maybe someone knows of some magic?

Possibly some kind of special fixing to the wall mounted joist either side of a cut through it coupled with an additional joist? I can't really remove the wall mounted joist to add extra bolt points, as this would probably involve dismantling most / all of deck, and the project has already expanded a lot (for other reasons) since it started.

I suppose I could just pass the armoured cable through the decking without the duct, but I guess I'd still need to somehow notch the joist on the wall side to avoid it coming out at a distance from the wall, and being vulnerable to being snagged or tripped...

Sponsored Links
After some reading, it seems that the "joist" that is in the way might be called a ledger board. As far as I can see the joists for the rest of the deck are suspended from these using metal joist hangers. something similar to this: http://www.decks.com/images/articles/ledgerbolt.jpg

The deck further out is supported by what looks like fence posts into (possibly) concrete.

I'm starting to wonder if an option would be to drill through the wood vertically to pass the armoured cable through it without the duct, then screw a heavy duty fishplate type thing right across the area in a naive attempt to add strength. The hole for the armoured cable would probably have to be 17mm or so out of the 50mm wood, so it would weaken it considerably, though it is bolted to the wall within a foot of either side of where it would be drilled.

I guess if it fails, the look from the wife will be worse than the potential 8 inch fall.

Having said that , I'm not sure my drill will allow me to make a hole that close to the wall because of the shape of it.

If your ledger (wall) plate is bolted every foot or so then;
Set your SWA so it is midway between 2 bolts
Lift 2 or 3 deckboards so you can get a saw in (vertically) and
Cut out a 50mm chunk of the wall plate (2 cuts)
Put your SWA in the gap
Fix a 500mm length of 50 x 150 onto the wall plate so it spans the joint. Use mile-long sleeve bolts and tooth connectors if you're feeling really paranoid or 4" nails if you're not that worried- either way the decking is going nowhere- and obviously don't nail through the SWA

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestion.

Are there any bolt / sleeve bolt / carriage bolt / coach screw type fixings which could be installed without removing the wall plate?

(Either to fix the two pieces of wood together, or to fix one or both of them into the brick to provide another anchor point either side of the cut)

Thanks for the suggestion.

Are there any bolt / sleeve bolt / carriage bolt / coach screw type fixings which could be installed without removing the wall plate?

(Either to fix the two pieces of wood together, or to fix one or both of them into the brick to provide another anchor point either side of the cut)

Thunderbolts are ideal for this. Drill straight through the ledger board and into the masonry using suitable drill bits. The thunderbolt requires no plug and will bolt direct into the masonry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back