Decking - on concrete base, or directly over the grass?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to create a decked area at the end of my garden around 3metres x 3 metres. I have read a few posts on here that seem to provide different suggestions as to what the best way of doing this is, so have created a new topic to get your answers.
My concerns with a decked area are: the wood becoming rotten quickly, and rodents/pests or even the neighbours cat going under the decking. (We are planning on using the decked area for a couple of chairs/table so there is chance that a small amount of food may drop through the decking)

The area that I want to deck is currently covered with grass/moss and on a slight slope. Some suggestions I have read are:

1) I should put supporting wooden posts into the ground and level the deck frame on top of them
2) Dig out the grass/mud, putting down hardcore and on top create a level concrete base – and then fix the deck frame on paving slabs that sit on the concrete base. (similar to how you would prepare a shed base)

Which of the 2 options above would you suggest to minimise the deck from rotting, minimise weeds growing through the deck, and minimise animals getting under the deck?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
use posts. wrap the entire frame in weed fabric such as plantex. and clad any vertical edges with decking as well. Rodents are only a problem if you put something there for them to eat. Never had a problem from any of my customers with them.

Sorry can i just clarify this, posts into the ground or onto concrete pads?
Im about to start my decking project, last one i did years ago i remember hammering tanalised posts in. I gather being in the ground they will rott alot quicker?

Can anyone refer me to a decent diagram for best practise, be it on concrete pads or other.

THanks

Sponsored Links
use posts. wrap the entire frame in weed fabric such as plantex. and clad any vertical edges with decking as well. Rodents are only a problem if you put something there for them to eat. Never had a problem from any of my customers with them.

+1 exactly right IMHO. Only thing I'd add, though maybe a bit unneccesary, is to give the posts a good couple of coats of bitumen type paint before concreting them in. Personally I'm not a fan of just hammering posts into the ground, I'd much rather take the time and trouble to dig holes and conrete them in and with bags of postfix working so well, it's a doddle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back