Decking planning permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I was planning to do decking then realized i may have planning permission issue

My garden ground level is around 1.5m drop to my house dpc level.

Just built new 3m extension and the DPC level to the ground level on garden is 1.5m drop. But before the extension was one, there was a gradual slope from one end of garden to the other end. So not sure where i stand with planning permission as i was told i need to be 30mm above ground level. Is that house ground level or garden ground level?

Happy to provide more information if possible.

Thanks
Sundeep

Sponsored Links
Doh! It’s from the highest existing ground level.

Why didn’t you tag the decking on to the extension planning permission? Or was it PD?

it was building regulations so didnt think to ask about decking too.

So i am ok to proceed with decking without any issues of planning permission right?

Sponsored Links
No, for decking to not need planning permission you are limited to 300mm above the existing ground level. You measure from the highest natural level under the deck. It sounds like you're saying that the deck will be 1.5m above the natural ground level? If so PP is definitely required.

I think the OP is saying that if limiting to 300mm above highest natural ground level under the deck then the decking will be 1.5m above the lowest point of the garden.

Find attached 2 images, one before extension gives you idea of drops and one with extension with the height i have....

Based on this what you think?

Attachments

• deck1.jpg
    deck1.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 344
  • deck3.jpg
    deck3.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 381
OK. I think you need planning permission. I think planning permission will be refused.

What did the plan drawer put on the drawings - steps? From those doors?

Its bizarre that a raised area was not part of the design for access from those doors

So i have 2 options i guess, PP or do decking steps down to 300mm off ground and then start deckings? would the step down cause any issues? if i did regular steps down. Its going to spoil my decking plan! would've been better if it was same level as doors but guess not possible.

We're not saying it's not possible, just that the odds might not be stacked in your favour. Whack in a planning application.

just for my idea how long does it take for planning permission usually? and can i do the permission or does it have to be builder?

Allow 10 weeks (2 weeks for validation + 8 for determination). You can do it yourself using the householder application form on the government's online Planning Portal

Thanks, i was just reading that. Is it wise for me to buy plan or do from scratch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back