Decking Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I want to start planning sorting out the back yard. At the moment I have broken paving slabs, crazy paving, a retaining wall and constant flooding.

Behind the wall is a slope of soil leading to the first "tier" of my garden.

My plan is take down the wall, hire a digger and dig out the slope. Dig footings and build a new (approx 8ft) wall. Render the wall and paint white. Install 2 levelled decking over the existing patio area and where the soil slope currently is.

I have a few questions though....

Once the soil is gone, should I support the "wall of soil" that is left during the few days before the new wall is built? I'm worried I might get a mudslide!

My neighbour (the Jones'!) have a similar setup. Their new retainer is made from just a single skin of breezeblocks layed in the usual way. I was wondering if i'd be safer building mine with the blocks laid flat?

What's standard practice for drainage on a retaining wall of this size?

Will this project need planning permission?

Thanks for any help!

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Is the retaining wall to be 8 feet high? That is a massive undertaking and will definately need designed by an engineer. It would also probably need planning permission as its over 2m

You will be absolutely amazed at the volume of material you are removing and that alone in skip or grab lorry costs will be serious.

Don't want to scare you but have you costed the project what did you come up with?

Is the retaining wall to be 8 feet high? That is a massive undertaking and will definately need designed by an engineer.
Ditto.. blocks laid flat isn't enough.. maybe if it was 2ft or 3ft max..

Oh! Well, it doesn't have to be 8ft, the soil which I'm trying to retain slopes from being 5ft from the ground level to around 7ft a the highest point. I wanted it to be slightly higher to stop the kids falling down from the first tier. I suppose I could put a fence instead.

But then 7ft is still going to be too high / need planning permission etc?

Is there any alternative (sleepers?) or am I back to the drawing board?

Sponsored Links
As a rule of thumb any retaining wall over 3 ft needs to be well built and have good drainage sorted. I work on a rule of anything over 4 ft must be specified by and engineer.

Getting above 5ft you would be mad to do it without an engineer.

Some of the major mftrs have mortar-less interlocking block retaining walls and these often have a technical dept who may offer some guidance so maybe try them. The one drawback is the high material cost of these walls.

I just finshed a small retaining wall with these today.

http://www.acheson-glover.com/constructionpro/products/anchor-diamond/

This is too much for any kind of sleeper wall so you choices are either gabions, mortarless as above or a full masonary wall.

Gabions are easy to do but very time consuming. Cheapest material cost though.

I'd be getting at least some advice and maybe a quote or two from a local landscaper.

Oh and no need for Planning Permission if its under 2m but really its the potential danger of an unsuitable wall you should be worrying about rather than PP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back