Decking Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm in the process of installing a raised deck area in my back yard, from what i have seen on the internet after you fit ledger timber to the perimeter you support the decking joists on metal hangers into the ledgers. Does anyone know what type of hanger to use? the deck joists are 150mmx47mm there are loads to choose from. Saw these in my local Wickes http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-50mm-Speedy-Joist-Hanger-Standard-Leg/p/240385 and wondered if they would do if i cut the legs down to 150mm, to me they just dont seem very thick at 0.9mm thick galv but they may well be fine. Any advise if these are ok or where and to buy if something is more suitable would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
if you want heavier ones, you need to go to a builders yard, like travis perkins

but you can also but join them and screw them

I have a different question. When screwing the frame into a brick wall, what fixings should you use, I was thinking 10x100mm frame fixings

Sponsored Links
Any purpose made joist hangar will be fine. Despite looking flimsy the load they can take are massive.

You can simply butt join them and screw with timberlok screws or similar. Of course only If you can get at the back face of the ledger to put the screws in. If its against the wall then hangars are fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back