Decking revive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put a large 2 level decking project in the garden, teated ut each year by decking cleaner scrub & when fully dry reoiling with decking oil.
got to the point now that many of the small grooves are full of caked oil & crud.

Need to remove it .... don't want to pressure wash as it will lift the grain, need something like a rotary wire brush as in pic ... but plastic .... would dig out crud without harming the wood - anybody aware of one, or a better method

It's
brush.jpg

Sponsored Links
That or any wire brush will do far more damage than a jet wash.

A 3M type scouring pad grey (course) or red (medium) would be better if you are intent on scrubbing.

Or one of those painter's hook tools or similar tool for weeding paving joints.

I used to believe that jet washing was bad for decks, but not now. Well, not for older decks that already have some wear. Jet it, let it settle for a week or so then re-oil.

I have always avoided using pressure washer - assumed they would lift the grain.

Do you think pressure wash better than this nylon one I found after Googling
brush 2.jpg

Would a deck scrubbing brush be enough?

Sponsored Links
Would a deck scrubbing brush be enough?

I used a decking scrubbing brush with Decking cleaner each year - this time needs more to remove old oil that has caked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back