Decking - rot repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I (foolishly) put a plant pot on my deck and left it for months. When I moved it I noticed the wood had started to rot. The rot is not extensive - the shape of the plant pot! It is on the join between 2 boards and the top of the support has started to rot but not extensively.

Questions - is this easy to repair myself? I reckon I can replace the boards with rot and treat the rot in the support using wet rot treatment. But is this likely to work - or should I get professional advice?

The deck is about 7 years old and otherwise in good condition.

Sponsored Links
depends how far the rot has gone down the support post, but if its not to far then cut it out and treat the rest as long as it doesnt weaken the support. Replace the boards that have gone. put the pot back on some pot stands to stop it happening again

Thanks Thermo. Sorry to sound a bit thick but is it enough to treat the rotted support with wood preserver suitable for treatment of wet rot? Should I use wood hardener as well? Also is it sufficient just to treat the rotted area or do i need to treat the surrounding sound area as well to prevent spread (this is much more work as will involve removing many more boards!!)

Thanks for your help.

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back