Decking screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

looking for so advice on fixing screws for 28mm x 5 inch wide softwood decking and also which to use for the 4x2 joist framing. Ive got about 60 m2 to lay so I want decent quality but not something thats going to cost the earth as I will need a lot!!!!

Presume 2 screws through each deck board into each joist ( about 350mm spacing) would be the norm

The frame will be sitting on 2" paver's/blocks placed at intervals on the floor (on dolomite /screed that was under the paver's )

Which screws will I need for the 4x2 framing and how many connecting each joist 2 or 3 ?

Prefer screwfix or toolstation screws as they can deliver but any recommendations appreciated.

many thanks

John

Sponsored Links
done my 6*2 joists with 3 screws at 75mm lengths, my 32 mm boards were screwed with 50mm screws at 2 per joist (400mm Spacings), mine is semi risen so layed onto 4 by 4 supports postcreted into the ground (fingers crossed all holding damn well after 4 months) ;)

I would go for "Deck-Tite" screws. I use their flooring and woodscrews all the time now.

Try Ø4.5 x 63mm long, £33 for 1000 screws, plus delivery.
http://tite-direct.com/shop/article...-Bucket.html?shop_param=cid=2&aid=TFDT08212T&

These have smooth shanks so they grip the deck board, unlike fully threaded screws.

I reckon you will need about 3000 plus to do 60m²

How far apart are your supports for those 4"x2"?
Decking is to all intents the same as flooring, so 4"x2" needs a support at every 2000mm at 400 crs. (or 1600 apart if you go to 600 crs)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back