Decking soaking up rain water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just got some decking built by what I can only describe as a cowboy! Lesson learned there! Anyway, there are a number of issues that I think I have figured out how to fix but one of them is that the raw edges of decking planks that have been used as uprights in the handrail are soaking up the rain water as the are resting on the deck floor. They are sort of wedged between the floor and another board running along the top, like where you would lean, sit a drink etc. Any ideas how I can stop the water getting to them as I know eventually they will start to split. Also, some of the posts seem to be soaking up rain water as well.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Who did the job for you, was it a company / tradesman? If so get them back. If you attempt to repair you will remove the responsibility from them.

Hi, it was a tradesman but to be honest I dont want him back as when I picked up some wee snags he was acting a bit annoyed and when I said to him the posts were wobbly his answer was 'well they will wobble, thats just how it is'. I didn't really have anything to say to that so it was clear to me he was doing it his way end of. I was just happy to get him off my property and try to deal with the errors myself. He was definitely not a finishing joiner! Job is really rough. If I had the tools and physical strength I could have done a better job myself. Any ideas on how to sort the water issue? I thought id need to cut the lengths a bit and re attach them so they weren't resting on the deck floor and therefore not exposed directly to the rain water that falls on the deck.

Sponsored Links
Decking will obviously get wet but timber should not be in standing water if possible and as you say especially not the end grain. Balustrades and handrails are much better when finished with a base rail which will keep them from touching the deck surface.

When i do it i tend to cut the hand rail and base rail to fit perfectly between posts and then make up the whole lot of handrail spindles and base rail as a panel and slot it in and fix. You might be best to do the same as if you try and cut them in situ you'll make a pigs ear of it. Thats no comment on your ability it is just very very hard to do neatly.

As for wobbly posts that's just poor workmanship, i tend to use full length 6 foot posts concreted into the ground doubling up as support for the frame and also handrail posts and this way they are rock solid and the whole lot feels secure.

Firstly, don't be bullied by a tradesman ffs. If they've done a botch job they need to sort it. If you're worried about confronting them have you a friend or a neighbour who will lend you a big lump of a person to be with you when you complain? or to put the argument for you?

You have the law on your side, don't let a scumbag scare you into accepting below standard services...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back