Should I drill holes in the decking for water to escape?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a house that has decking built right up to the (first floor) entrance area, which is above a flat roof. The wall plate is another piece of decking, attached directly to the brick wall without any sort of membrane or proper damp protection.

When it rains, water collects on there and sits for long periods, with no way to escape from the grooves. It is causing a couple of damp patches on the internal wall near the door, causing paint to flake off.

At some point someone has used sealant at the ends between decking and wall, but I don't know if that helps or hinders.

Would it be a good solution to drill a couple of holes in some of the grooves of the first plank, near the wall? This is probably the main cause of the water getting into the brickwork and causing damage.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• IMG_7096.JPG
    IMG_7096.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_7098.JPG
    IMG_7098.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_7100.JPG
    IMG_7100.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_7101.JPG
    IMG_7101.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 267
Sponsored Links
I'm sure drilling holes wouldn't do it any harm, and might help. Though the damp patches indoors suggest more is required: there are proper experts on the forums who can provide professional advise, but perhaps remove an inch or two so the decking doesn't quite reach the wall, and ensuring it has a slight gradient away from the wall. Sometimes just 'splashback' where rain bounces up onto a wall can lead to dampness. I found this website super-useful: hof it)? ttp://www.pavingexpert.com/dpc01.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back